The apparent arson of the Playground of Possibilities is unfortunate, sad and perplexing all at the same time. Will the truth ever be widely exposed regarding the inconsistencies surrounding the shrouded details of the financing for the playground? Will this tragedy become a windfall to the Mayor and her administration who are so desperately seeking ways to stave off the insurmountable and irresponsible debt they’ve racked up in the past 7 years? Will full disclosure ever be produced of every aspect of the financing arrangements to build the playground? Despite elected officials denying the use of public employees while on the clock to supplement a lack of pre-planning, city employees including police and fire department personnel were encouraged to assist in the construction phase while on the public dime. Likewise with office staff and service department workers, and those who chose to comply with the coercion-style request for another taxpayer bailout were told to not wear any South Euclid City apparel. City officials have steadfastly denied the use of city employees, equipment, materials and time except when occasionally cornered on specifics. That’s when the, “well, they are city employees, and the playground is on city property” defense comes into play. The City of South Euclid has denied several requests for public records asking for actual costs of the playground, including financial documents, contractual agreements and donations received though fundraisers. If the revolving facts being disseminated by city officials were based in truth, why would they deny public access to these records?
Was the original $150,000 “loaned” to the project ever paid back? Currently city officials are floating the figure of $250,000 to the media as the total cost of the playground, SEO is skeptical of that information.
As previously stated, any criticism directed at city officials regarding these issues are not an attack on the well meaning people who did come out and volunteer. Weak planning, low volunteer turnout, starting the project without sufficient funding in place, and most of all, misrepresenting the truth, have turned what was intended to be a charitable community event into a behind the scenes debacle both financially and politically.
Will the truth ever be revealed?
Posted by Anonymous to SOUTH EUCLID OVERSIGHT at November 2, 2010 6:19 PM
"I think you started the fire, after all you are quoted as being vehemently opposed to the playground and you said "Why after every detail communicated to the public continued to be ........and the local newspaper not change course and begin to hold City Hall to the FIRE! Seems like you were predicting its demise. Thanks for killing a project meant for children and families just for your vendetta."
- AT 8:00 P.M. EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS WERE BEING RELAYED TO SOUTH EUCLID OVERSIGHT STATING THAT THE PLAYGROUND OF POSSIBILITIES AT BEXLEY PARK WAS ENGULFED IN FLAMES.
- EMERGENCY VEHICLES ARE ON THE SCENE. AT LEAST ONE LOCAL NEWS CHANEL IS REPORTING FROM SOUTH EUCLID.
- WE WILL UPDATE SEO WITH INFORMATION AS IT IS RECEIVED.
- EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS ARE REPORTING THE FLAMES HAVE BEEN EXTINGUISHED, BUT THE DAMAGE IS EXTENSIVE. PHOTOGRAPHS SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SOON.
- time: 1 min. 10 sec.
CLICK HERE FOR THE REAL STORY SURROUNDING THE PLAYGROUND OF POSSIBILITIES, AND THE EVER-CHANGING FACTS AND FIGURES COMPLIMENTS OF SOUTH EUCLID CITY OFFICIALS. WILL ANYONE MENTION THAT THE PLAYGROUND IS NOT YET PAID FOR?
HERE ARE LINKS TO 19 ACTION NEWS AND CHANNEL 3 NEWS REGARDING THE PLAYGROUND FIRE.