It is perplexing that the Sun Messenger continuously refers to the Greenvale homes as "dilapidated". As anyone can see from the photographs below, and as reflected in the inspection reports obtained from the Building Department, these homes were not in disrepair. Uncleanliness can be remedied with bleach and some elbow grease. Squandering $1.8 million taxpayer dollars on this project is absurd, as is the demolition of structurally sound houses.
What will be the grand total of expenditure on this debacle?
- The City's public statements are inconsistent with the Building Department inspection reports regarding the Greenvale 9.
- The Sun Messenger repeatedly reports that the homes are "dilapidated", "blighted", and "run-down".
- If the homes are not in disrepair, why is there no effort on the part of City officials to correct newspaper reports? The City allows the public to be misled to further their personal agenda and charade.
- City Law Director is quoted in the Sun Messenger stating the interior of the homes are "absolutely disgusting".
- Each of the 9 homes are issued a "certificate of occupancy" by the Building Department. To obtain a "certificate of occupancy" a home must be in compliance with city code.
- Per the City Law Director, the homes are "not structurally unsound".
- The City purchases the properties for $186,100.00 OVER the county Auditor's market value price.
- The brick homes are demolished thus instantly reducing the property value to vacant land status negating any possibility of recuperating the full purchase price.
- The City will continue to spend even MORE money for property upkeep, including snow removal and landscaping costs.
- As of January 2008, the City of South Euclid owes the Cuyahoga County Auditor property taxes for the tax year 2007 in the amount of $38,254.53 for the Greenvale Drive properties.
To view other posts on South Euclid Oversight concerning the Greenvale Drive properties, please click on the links below:
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words December 2007
- Greenvale Dangers July 2007
- STILL Looking For Answers On Greenvale Drive July 2007
- Greenvale Houses- Before & After July 2007
- No Plans For Greenvale April 2007
- City Funded Real Estate Venture April 2007
- City Spends $1.8 million March 2007
Please click on either image below to view full size.